Not open minded after all

I must confess. I'm not open minded after all...

My MP3 player was lost and I needed music. So last weekend I went to buy a simple MP3 player. I like gadgets the Spartan way. Not too many buttons to press, not too many things that go wrong. I thought I found just the right one. A Philips MP3 player.

There were 2 versions of it. A 30 Euro version with 2 gigabytes of storage and a 40 Euro version with 4 gigabytes of storage. I like cheap, so I opted for the 30 Euro one.

"Let me get that for you", the guy said. "Hmm... sorry sir, I only have the cheap one in pink", he continued.

So you can guess which one I bought. Yep, the 40 Euro one in grey. The smart sales guy is taking advantage of my short minded mind. Just offer the cheap one in pink and a sensible one for a bit more and most guys will end up spending a bit more. It made me wonder. If Hippo wouldn't be fully open source, we could pull the same trick on people.

Hippo in Pink Logo

"So sir, you don't like that pink Hippo logo with the hat in your CMS? Well, we can set you up with a nice blue logo. Very representable. Would you like to pay cash or credit card?"

No comments:

Post a Comment